The Pulse Nightclub massacre. Columbine. Emanuel AME Church. The Virginia Tech shootings. Sandy Hook. Aurora, Colorado. These tragedies are branded upon the American conscience, scars that will never go away – and which broadcast to the rest of the world that the United States is a very large country filled with homicidal maniacs, violence, and wanton gun crime. I am quite astonished that so many foreigners want to immigrate to this nation of murder and mayhem, that tourists are still willing to travel to this land despite warnings from their own countries’ travel bureaus. America is like a third world nation in comparison to other Western nations, when it comes to violent crime. It honestly makes me ashamed to call myself an American.

In San Bernardino, California, on 2 December 2015, a holiday party was held in the banquet room at the Inland Regional Center, which is a state-run facility for people with developmental disabilities. American born Syed Rizwan Farook, of Pakistani descent, and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, born in Pakistan but a legal, permanent resident of the United States, left their 6 month old daughter with her grandmother in the Farook home in Redlands, telling his mother that they were headed for a doctor’s appointment. As a health inspector for the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, Farook attended the departmental event, which at first consisted of a semi-annual all staff meeting and training seminar, before seguing into the party. Farook left around 10:30 am, having been quiet the entire time, according to survivors. He had checked his phone just before he left, though he did pose for pictures with some of his coworkers. He left a backpack on a table when he departed.

Due to a technical issue, an unscheduled break took place and it was during this moment that Farook and Malik, armed with rifles, semi-automatic pistols, and dressed in black tactical gear – but not bullet proof vests – and ski masks, went amok. They shot two people outside the building before entering, Farook in the lead, to shoot others. More than 100 rounds were unleashed on the 75 – 80 attendees, many of whom fled the room for other, safer areas of the building. Three men tried to stop the shooters, but were shot in the process. Another man shielded a coworker with his own body, getting shot and killed and, when a fire sprinkler pipe was hit by a bullet, the resulting shower of water made it difficult for other victims to see and get away. Witnesses recognized Farook’s voice and his build, just as some of them knew by the smaller build and figure-hugging attire that the second shooter was female.

Inside the backpack were three pipe bombs. The devices were described as pipe bombs constructed with Christmas lights and tied together, combined with a remote controlled car that was switched on. The poorly constructed devices failed to explode. Authorities believe that the pipe bombs were meant to target the emergency personnel responding to the scene. The device was hidden inside a canvas bag, and its build was similar to schematics published in Al Qaeda’s Inspire magazine. Coworkers noticed the bag before the attack occurred, but thought that Farook would return for it and therefore did not investigate it. – Wikipedia

Both Farook and Malik died in a shootout with police officers after they were pursued from their home in Redlands, about four hours after the massacre. During the chase, a fake bomb was thrown at police in an obvious ploy to stop the pursuit. Once the SUV the couple were in left the freeway, they were seen putting on tactical vests and getting rifles at the ready, just before taking off for a suburban area, where Malik, in the backseat, began shooting at officers through the rear window. The SUV finally stopped in a neighborhood less than 2 miles from the scene of the first attack, where the couple exchanged gunfire with the police, with Malik opening the front passenger side door to shoot at the first car of police. Farook jumped out of the vehicle to stand between two open doors and shoot. He then walked across the street towards residential homes, continuing to fire his weapon, as the officers pinned themselves behind their squad cars.

One police officer eventually shot Farook in the right side, allowing others to flank and shoot at him. Farook fell to the ground, shot several times in the legs and upper body. He fired at the police once with a handgun as he lay wounded on the ground, injuring an officer before the gun malfunctioned.

Farook was shot again several times and killed. His body was handcuffed and positioned to lie face-down afterwards. Officers then fired on the SUV as Malik continued to shoot at them. During this exchange of gunfire, a second police officer was wounded. Using a police cruiser as cover, officers fired into the back of the SUV while rescuing the wounded officer and a second one. At 3:14:53 p.m., Malik was killed by several bullets that struck her in the body and head. – Wikipedia

The motive was apparently the belief held by wife Tashfeen that her husband Syed was being forced to attend the party, which she objected to because it was Christmas-themed. She did not feel that a Muslim should be made to participate in something that was not of their religion.

The Victims

Robert Adams, 40
Isaac Amanios, 60
Bennetta Betbadal, 46
Harry Bowman, 46
Sierra Clayborn, 27
Juan Espinoza, 50
Aurora Godoy, 26
Shannon Johnson, 45
Larry Daniel Kaufman, 42
Damian Meins, 58
Tin Nguyen, 31
Nicholas Thalasinos, 52
Yvette Velasco, 27
Michael Wetzel, 37


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s